Sunday, 28 August 2011

New digs

On Friday my dad came up from Calgary to help us move from St. Albert into Edmonton proper, right in across the street from the hospital actual. Was very good to see him again, added something...normal to a "new and scary" situation. Not gonna lie...I was really disappointed with the apartment. It was smaller than I had visualized, and despite the word 'loft' being in the name of the building I was still pissed when I saw the bedroom wasn't walled off. The whole set up of the place makes me feel like I'm having to run a serpentine, and I'm still catching my shins on the ugly furniture.
Now before I go any farther down the brat path, I will say that I am very very lucky to have this place. Even with how small it is I still only have one roomie, not five. Despite the noise from the street and traffic, I am only a half block walk from the Physio center. And all the other problems that jumped out at me right away are dwarfed by the advantages it has compared to my other housing options. And I need to, and will, make the very best of this.
Obvious solution to this problem is to not hang out in the apartment. And with the University Campus and Whyte Ave just a short walk away it should be easy to find something to do. Lots of WiFi location to plunk down at for an hour or two, some shops to go look in (but not buy, way too much shopping already), or just sitting out front with a slurpee people watching.
The BIG issue is that I don't, and cannot get what I need hear. And that is my comfort zone, my hide hole, my dedicated space. This would be like my office back home where i have my computer and TV set, my books and couch are there, I have what a need. I did a basic recreation of this where we stayed in St. Albert, just set up my stuff in the room I had, it was quiet and cool, and I could be alone.
I am not going to get that hear, and although I have TV again (never bothered to figure out the telus tv setup they had in ST Albert) the next 4 weeks are going to be rougher than the first two.
Thus ends the bitchy post, watch soon for more up beat update

1 comment: