First and foremost, I want to thank you for all your support, via facebook and phone calls and gifts, having you all with me in spirit has made all the difference.
Secondly, this is pretty much all you are going to get,
because I am only prepared for short bursts at this point. The doctors all seem
to be impressed with my herculean/juicer/general super soldier ability to
recover (you’re not supposed to wake up 6 hours after this operation?). Despite
this, there is still a very long road ahead of me, so I will need to again ask
for a few more things from you.
First of all, if you don’t live in Edmonton, I would
appreciate that you not come up to visit right now. Believe me when I say I want
to see you, but I do not have the reserve energy every day between physio and
daily activities to also have company. On the very good days, I know I can
take over the world three times over. On the bad days I can barely lift my head
off the pillow. I would hate for anybody to have to go through all the effort to
be tunred away at the door, and I would only want you to see me at my best. I
will let you know when I am up for visitors, it just isn't right now.
Similarly
with texts and phone calls, I don’t check very often. I cannot guarantee I have
the energy or the memory to get back to you, sorry this is just the current
situation my life is in.
Wishes of support and being in your thoughts are better than
any kind of gift right now, so any care packages can wait, and we can go out
and celebrate when I am back in condition to do so. If anybody feels they need
to do something beyond what they are doing now, please create awareness for
organ donation and transplantation in some way you find meaningful. Those of
you that have already done so have made my day. The selfless outpouring has
let me know that no matter what happens I will always have the support of true
friends and wonderful family. And funny cat cards, because, you know, funny cat
cards.
Progeress is steady, the physiotherapists and occupational
therapists have met with me and set plans in place, and this is feeling very
good. Things seem small now but the fact that I can do them and do them
repeatedly lets me know I can do more and more every day. For now it is just
a matter of keeping momentum moving forward and dealing with pain management.
The last week has been so incredibly eye opening that its hard to look at life
the way it was before. Just not being able to speak for the days that I had a
tube down my throat were an entirely new and unique experience, not the least
because I love the sound of my own voice. I feel like every day is a different
challenge that I have to figure something else out, like timing pain management
meds, or knowing when to relax and recover from activities.
I will try to update the blog as much as I can, but keep
watching facebook for round by round updates. If there is anything specific you
want to know, post it there, if I am able to answer I will try.
Once my routine is established, the updates on the blog will
become more regular, until then you will have to wait like the salivating dogs
you are. Thanks for reading gang!!
Ps I saved all the written messages I wrote while I was unable
to talk, at some point they might posted for purposes of humour… might.
Thanks for the update Pete (via Doug)! You have no idea what an inspiration you are. Yes, we signed our donor cards years ago and now we are making it our mission to let others know how vitally important this is.
ReplyDelete